Wednesday, August 17, 2011

2011-2012 Our first year homeschooling!

We will start first grade for Abby on Monday - 8/22/11. The twins, Cooper & Parker, will be in pre-k from 9a-12:30p Monday through Friday. This is when we plan to do all of Abby's first grade book work for: Phonics (Veritas Press), Literature (First Favorites - Veritas Press), English (Shurley) and Math (Saxon). Science, Geography and Bible will all be done in the afternoon with all 3 kiddos. Wish us luck and I hope you enjoy following our journey!

Why home-school??? This is the question I get asked all the time and I loathe. Why not? Why public/government school? First off, these are my children. I love and adore them. I want to spend as much time with them as I possibly can. I am perfectly capable of teaching them. With home-school they get a 1:3 ratio, at worst! We can learn civics by going to the capitol whenever we feel like it. Art, Music, PE, Technology can be taught as often as we want. They aren't a limited resource like with public schools. The library - we can go everyday and spend the entire day if we want. I can also teach {gasp} Bible during school. I have teacher guides just like the public school teachers. The zoo is also a place we can go to learn science on a daily basis, they offer many home-school classes during the week. The sky and my imagination are our only limitations- and with this little thing called "google" my imagination is not very limited. I also have a fantastic resource I will utilize for lesson plans and to "test and evaluate" my kiddos quarterly. And as of now, I plan to stay in line with the state/public school guidelines for standardized testing. Again, why not???

Welcome to our classroom! =))

2 comments:

  1. awesome!!! You know I'm all for it...I mean..my best friend, Michelle Duggar, does it so it has to be the way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Can't follow it though...there's no link!

    ReplyDelete